Saturday, April 3, 2010

CUPCAKES GALORE



I was invited to a charity coffee morning recently (great timing as I am planning one for a friend who is going to Zambia) and didn't want to arrive with one arm longer than the the other, so I whipped up these little cakettes to bring along.

I know self praise is no praise but they were just yumm, they are  chocolate mini muffins with a Baileys icing, a combination made in culinary heaven!!

There was, of course, no need to bring anything to C's house, the spread of fantastic baked goodies was just amazing.  I really wanted to try everything, but was afraid of looking like too much of a pig!!!!  I did try a most delicious lemon tray bake (not the whole tray, just a (large) piece), it was so light and tasty.  There were home made meringues with cream and strawberries, brownies, coffee cake, chocolate cake, carrot cake - you name it and it was there.  C said that all the recipes came from Mary Berry's cake bible (another book to add to my list).  The coffee was really good too, which I think is  important - there's nothing worse than nasty coffee!!

Back at the home front, the left overs went down very well, thankfully they were all gone before I could do more damage to my feeble attempt at healthier eating!


Chocolate Cupcakes with Baileys Icing

200g    self raising flour
50g      cocoa
200g    caster sugar
75g      dark chocolate (70%) chopped
150g    melted butter
100ml  soured cream
2          eggs

Preheat oven to 150 C
Line bun/mini muffin tray with paper cases.

Sieve the flour and cocoa into a bowl.
Add the chopped chocolate (or chocolate chips), eggs, cream and melted butter.
Stir until smooth  and fudgy.
Fill cases 3/4 full and bake for approx 15 minutes for mini muffins or 20 minutes for cupcakes -
test before these times with a skewer or stick of spaghetti.
Remove from the oven to cool.


Baileys Icing

175g     icing sugar
60g       soft butter
2tbsp    Baileys

Sieve the sugar into a bowl add the butter and beat well, add the Baileys and continue to beat - the longer you beat icing the lighter it will be (you really need an electric beater for this).

Decorate the cup cakes with the icing as you wish.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jutta said...

We love Bailey's so I must make this icing sometime! And I will, on your recommendation, add that cookbook to my very long must have cookbook list. Thanks BG!